Company OverviewAlkermes plc is a fully integrated, global biopharmaceutical company developing innovative medicines for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The company has a diversified commercial product portfolio and a substantial clinical pipeline of product candidates for chronic diseases that include schizophrenia, depression, addiction and multiple sclerosis. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Alkermes plc has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts; a research and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility in Wilmington, Ohio. For more information, please visit Alkermes’ website at www.alkermes.com.
Alkermes has an excellent opportunity for a highly talented scientist to establish a target engagement group for our small molecule drug discovery programs. The ideal candidate will be experienced with cellular target engagement methods, developing assays for phenotypic screens and target deconvolution, and cellular mechanism of action studies using state-of-the-art techniques. Familiarity with disease mechanisms in Oncology and CNS disorders is preferred. The candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Establish cellular methods to gain insight on how small molecules of interest are interacting with target proteins.
- Build and manage an in vitro Target Engagement team of scientists to strengthen our drug discovery capabilities at Alkermes
- Collaborate with colleagues across Alkermes Research to generate a “tool belt” of target engagement approaches in drug discovery (chemical probes, photoaffinity reagents, etc.).
- Work closely with our in vitro Disease Modeling team to design assays for phenotypic screening and complement their genetic approaches to target deconvolution with biophysical and biochemical techniques
- Participate in multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams and serve as a chemical biology resource
- Communicate key results in written and oral presentations to peers and supervisors
- Familiar with cellular target engagement technologies such as CETSA, NANO-Bret, InCELL, etc. to demonstrate compounds of interest are binding to their cellular target
- Skilled in covalent labeling of proteins with chemical probes and protein identification to determine small molecule mechanism of action that will empower chemical design
- Experienced with use of mass spectrometry biochemical and cellular drug discovery assays is a plus
- Familiar with the use of Chemoproteomics in target deconvolution
- Ability to rapidly learn and apply techniques
- Ability to independently design, execute, and analyze experiments
- Sense of urgency (self-motivation)
- Leadership with respect to supervising scientists and providing a vision for the group
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Flexibility (tolerate changes in priorities/directions)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD with 8+ years or MS with 15+ years of experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting. Candidates with a degree in a relevant scientific discipline (neurobiology or cell biology) and experience in drug discovery preferred.
Alkermes, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.